Sunday, May 3, 2009

Early Sunday Morning Thoughts

It's not even 8am yet and I have been up for hours. I've vacuumed the floors, cleaned the bathrooms, roamed the internet and cleaned up the kitchen...not bad for a Sunday morning. Now I'm just waiting for my delicious croissant to defrost in the toaster oven and I'm going to have a delish breakfast! One might think I was up this early because I'm pregnant and can't find a comfortable place to sleep...while this may be true, this is the real reason...








The fat striped one...he has a mind of his own. If he deems it time to get up, there is no stopping him. He cries and cries and cries until both of us are out of bed. Sometimes there's a reason for it. He may be out of food (upstairs, he has food in 2 places), his litterbox may not be to his standards, or he may not have enough water in the dish (it has to be basically full at all times) and sometimes it's just to be a brat. Which I think was the case this morning. So at 5:45 he started and by 6:30 I'd had enough. Plus Dean was up anyway getting ready to leave. I figured I might as well get up.
So that brings me to now....my thoughts on this chilly Sunday morning. My mom got the invitations for my shower yesterday. They are super cute. They did a good job. I realize the shower is NOT for me, but for my baby, but it's hard not to be a bossy boots about some of the details. I'm trying to keep my mouth shut, but it's hard! So this leads me to the thought of registering. I know I have to do it, but for some reason it's not top on my priority list. I think because there's no time we can go do it and now it just feels like a chore. We were going to go today but Dean's good friend is in town this weekend (and typical men, didn't plan ahead). So he's out golfing this morning. I may just do something online for now. I sort of know what I want/need, but I think going to the store will help minimize any mistakes. I may just go do it on my own anyway....who knows. But something needs to be done before the invites go out next week.
And lastly, cloth diapers. I have been going back and forth on these for months. Probably even before we got pregnant with this little peanut. At first I was gung ho about them. Thought it was the best idea ever, couldn't wait to start. Then I started to waiver. The "what ifs" started. What if I don't like the extra laundry, what if they don't work on my baby, what if we can't find a sitter who will agree to it...the list goes on. So I'm back to researching. There are so many brands, styles, sizes, etc. It's hard to decide. Part of me wants to register for some, but what if those don't work. This website has a 21 day trial where they send you different brands to try. Sounds like a good idea. Then you buy what you like. There's also a service here who will deliver and pick up diapers. It's a little expensive, but I don't have any extra laundry. We may go check it out after our next appointment. And lastly, it seems like a lot of people turn their nose up at cloth. Not sure if it's because they don't realize what is out there now, or they just have a bad idea of the whole thing. Who knows. I do know that it's my decision. I need to talk it over with Dean again I think. But for now, these are my questions:
1) How much laundry is it really. To read the directions, it sounds like you have to wash them 3 times what with the rinse cycles they require. That seems like a lot.
2) How many do I need? Do I go for the 'one size' or try to buy different sizes?
3) Do I use disposables in the beginning when he's a newborn until he can at least be in the next size up?
4) Is this going to be possible if I go back to work, even part time?
5) What is my main reason for doing this? Environment? Health of my child? Trendy? I honestly don't have a good answer for this one. I guess I'd have to say environment is my 1st reason, but then that goes back to washing 3 times and that is a lot of water and a lot of electricity to run the washer that much.
As you can see, I'm still undecided. At this point I guess I will not be registering for any cloth diapers. I will probably do the trial package after he comes and see how it goes. If anyone who reads this does use cloth, any tips, pros or cons would be greatly appreciated.
Well...I think it's time to stop thinking baby for a while and go read the Sunday paper. Enjoy the day!!

2 comments:

Ariella said...

hey girl! Email me your questions and I will write out some answers for you.
kittylove516@yahoo . com

PS we loooooove cloth diapers!

C said...

i am also planning on cloth diapering my children. i have found a lot of great info on this site.

http://www.kellyscloset.com/