Friday, July 11, 2008

Talents

So I read this website that has given me some inspiration:

But the one who had received the one talent went off and dug a hole in the ground and hid his master's money. (Matthew 25:18 NRSV Bible)
All of us have what we need to succeed in life. In the Calvin and Hobbes cartoon, Calvin says to Hobbes, "If you could have anything in the world right now, what would it be?" Hobbes starts thinking, and Calvin says, "Anything at all! What ever you want!" Hobbes finally says, "A sandwich." Calvin yells, "A sandwich? What kind of stupid wish is that? Talk about a failure of imagination! I'd ask for a trillion billion dollars, my own space shuttle, and a private continent!" The last frame of the cartoon shows Hobbes eating a sandwich while he says, "I got my wish."
Have you ever wanted some ability that someone else had? We often do that, but it is not necessary. Maybe we are just like the worker who received only one talent. The servant with one talent didn't have as much as the servant with five talents, but he had all he needed. If he had not buried his talent in the ground, he could have done great things with it.
All of us are gifted. All of us have what we need to succeed. God has created us differently so that different tasks will get done in this world. And all of us have a place where we fit in.


I need to keep reminding myself that although this journey to parenthood has not been easy for our family, we have other talents that drew us together in the first place. I need to remember the one talent I may have that I can do great things with...and someday I will be able to add being a mother to that list of talents and do great things with that. One step at a time, one talent at a time. My talent for now will be to be a good wife and good friend.

No comments: