Thursday, July 10, 2008

Relief....for now

The RE appointment went well. I was beyond nervous and very apprehensive all morning. Not sure how it was going to go, what we'd need to know, do, talk about etc. I should have known, the office works with people who are going through a hard time so of course they're nice! The Dr. had a wonderful personality, he was funny, had a good bedside manner and explained everything very well (my guess is that's for the husband, because the women usually do quite a bit of research before all this starts). So that really helped Dean understand the whole process. He's very visually oriented and needs to know details about everything before he understands and accepts it.

So, the plan of attack: 100mg of Clomid day 3-7 (which is 50mg higher than before), U/S on day 14 (Monday July 21st) to check follicles, Ovidrel shot on CD 14 which promotes stronger ovulation, then progesterone supplements administered vaginally CD 17 on. The Dr. said the higher dose of Clomid should promote more and stronger follicles. My problem so far (from what he could tell from my ultrasounds, previous blood work, and miscarriage) is that I ovulate too late (which I knew) and therefore my follicles don't get a chance to grow big enough to release a good size, viable egg. He then said the shot of Ovidrel which is administered as a sub-cutaneous shot given by the nurse or your husband (Dean about died at that comment). Then the progesterone (which is the same drug as I'm taking now) will be administered vaginally because it is absorbed in the tissue which needs it most, not the blood stream which is where it's absorbed when taken orally. So I need to figure out how to put 2 pills up there everyday...but I'll make it work:-) So the good news is, I started full on flow yesterday which means today is CD 2 and I can start all this tomorrow. I was expecting to have to sit this one out due to timing. I figured he'd want to do testing and blood work and all that, but he doesn't. He wants to try this a few times and see what happens. If this doesn't work he will increase the dose of Clomid. If that doesn't work he will move on to shots of FSH everyday which increases risk and the possibility of multiples. Dean perked up at the thought of that. He wants twins so badly. I think so that we don't have to go through all this again. And I know that it would be harder, but honestly, I don't know if I can go through all this again. I guess we'll see when/if we actually get pregnant. I'm sure seeing that beautiful baby will be all worth this effort.

So, that's the plan. I am very excited about this and very anxious. It's really too bad a cycle lasts a whole month...that's a long time to wait. I am a little nervous about upping the clomid dose. I haven't had any side effects to speak of so far and I'd like to keep it that way. I guess we'll see in a few days.

I also want to take a second to thank my good friends who have stood by me these last few months and listened to me whine about all this and supported me no matter what. You mean the world to me! I can't think of my life without you and hope I can repay you with the same level of kindness when you need it!!

No comments: