Sunday, September 7, 2008

A cow in my yard?



Yep, that's right...a cow...in my yard. And here's the picture to prove it. I woke up sort of early this morning (6am) not on purpose and shortly after heard the cow crying. We hear it frequently since they are allowed to roam in the field next to our house so I didn't think anything of it. Then a while later it sounded louder and louder (like it was right outside our window). But again, we ignored it. We were having a lazy Sunday in bed, chatting, dozing, just enjoying not having anything to do. Finally that cow sounded so loud I had to get up and look out the window. Without my glasses on I could tell something was wrong, the lawn looked funny and there was a pile of 'dirt'....my first thought was damn moles had gotten to us. I put my glasses on and realized our pile of 'dirt' was a pile of poop. So I run outside and sure enough there she was. The window you see in the picture is our bedroom window....so she was right outside the window. We've lived in this house for almost 2 years now and thankfully haven't had a cow in the yard yet. We looked in the phone book for the owners name (we thought we knew it) and then called our builder. He knew just who to call and about 5 minutes later a car came flying down the road. The farmer hopped out and started looking for where she might have come over the fence. We had already looked but didn't see anything. Apparently there is a gate in the corner of our lot (it's all wooded back there so we have never seen it. So we were trying to push her towards it. Well....cows don't always want to do what you want them to, so we spent about 30 minutes chasing her and trying to corner her back by the gate. I felt so bad for her. Apparently she was crying for her calf, she was scared and lonely. But she finally made it back to her pasture and on her way home. The farmer came back and we formally introduced ourselves. He was very nice and gave us his phone number and his sons phone number in case this ever happens again. It was quite a bit of excitement for a Sunday morning. Now I just hope our yard recovers!!!

In other news, I had my first soccer game yesterday...we didn't win, but the girls played really well. I will miss the next practice and game b/c I'll be in San Diego. I thought it would be a lot harder seeing the girls after just losing our own baby, but it was actually a nice distraction. Then we had a wedding which brought many tears. All the dreams, hopes and wishes of our wedding day came flooding back. We have had a great marriage but not being able to conceive and carry a child is starting to wear on me. And of course a few people know our circumstance so the hugging and "I'm sorry's" were hard too. Then....onto my 1o year high school reunion. I'm sure I could go on and on about that but I'm just glad it's over. Only one person asked if we had kids or if we were going to have kids...thank gosh!!

I'm glad the weekend is over but not looking forward to work tomorrow. I leave Tuesday for San Diego, so at least it's just 1 day this week. I'm not really looking forward to SD, but it too will be a nice distraction. Too bad Dean can't go:-( Just me and my dad (yikes!!). But I'm sure it'll be busy and the days will fly by. Then before we know it we'll be sitting back in the RE's office for our follow up appointment!!! Its a week from this Thursday....I can't wait. I hope they have some answers for us. But I'm sure the answers will just lead to more questions!!!

Ok, enough posting for one day. I am finally feeling good enough to get some housework done. So I have been busy trying to get this house back in order. It's amazing when I don't feel good or can't do something...it sometimes doesn't get done:-) Anyway, a very sad time turned into an ok weekend for us. We are still sad and confused, but I think we are both moving forward...many thanks to our friends and family for all their support. I know we can do this and have a family one day...

1 comment:

Ariella said...

That is a lot for just one weekend. Have a "good" time in SD with your dad, I hope the trip goes well. You are in my thoughts and prayers.