Monday, June 22, 2009

Odds 'n' ends

This is going to be a hodge-podge of a post...

Overall the weekend was fun. I spent Saturday putting off my chores and then ended up going to run errands with my brother (anything to get away from housework!!) Saturday night was spent watching the US open. Pretty uneventful.

Sunday we got up and went to breakfast. We usually make breakfast at home, but we had to run by Dean's parents to check on the house since they've been gone for several days. They left their cats and goldfish there (I completely disagree with this!!) I think it's awful to leave those animals there like that alone for so long. But no one listens to me. So we played with the cats, fed and watered them and the goldfish. In the process of changing the water, I realize that there is no plumbing in the kitchen sink....yep, you read that right. The water spicket works, but there are no pipes for the water to run back to the septic or where ever water goes. It just went down the hole and into a 5 gallon bucket. Then I assume they dump the bucket out somewhere. I realize this may be the norm for some people (obviously my inlaws) but this is not the norm for me. And especially having a baby on the way, I look at their house a little differently. It is NO where near child proof or could it be in any way child proof. The floors are filthy (well, everything is filthy), there are nick knacks everywhere and a huge wood burning stove in the middle of the living room with nothing stopping a small child from running right into it. So after discovering the pluming issue it was determined in my mind that our child will not be left unattended (or without me) in their house. If they want to have a holiday or dinner, they can come to our house. That may sound bitchy, but I don't care.
After breakfast and our snooping session at the inlaws (oh yes, there's more...but we won't go into that now) we headed home and I promptly got my housework done. I don't think I've ever cleaned my bathrooms and floors so thoroughly!!! And then watched the US open again. I was (and still am) exhausted from who knows what so I didn't do much for the rest of the afternoon. It was early to bed for me!

The last little tidbit from the weekend was my phone conversation with Deans dad's cousins wife (follow that?). Apparently his mom is serious about this shower and has contracted this woman (who I have met once) to throw it. So we chatted for a bit and got some plans set. I emailed her our list of Dean's family that we have accumulated. And she said she'd probably have a few more people to add to it. It could be quite large....sort of scary. I informed Dean he might be coming to this one with me!! Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful she is doing this for us. It just seems weird to have someone I don't know do all this work for me. But she seemed happy and excited to do it, I hope it wasn't an act! I told her I'd help out as much as she needed. So we'll see. Since I wasn't planning on having a 2nd shower I didn't register for a ton of stuff and I was planning on buying the stuff we needed in the next 8-9 weeks but I guess I'll wait for another 4 to do that. I was a little worried that it was going to be too late for my liking, but as a friend reminded me, it will be something else to look forward to. So hopefully it'll split these 9 weeks up a little! We'll see how it all pans out.

Ok...back to it.

No comments: