Tuesday, August 11, 2009

One more thing

So I've been worried about my mom having chemo when the baby is due/coming. I realize there is nothing we can do about this, but I can worry anyway. Well, she was supposed to have chemo yesterday which would have put her next treatment on the 31st. And I was starting to think this all might work out. She gets all the way over there (it's a 2+ hour drive to Detroit from here), spends the night and gets to the cancer center bright and early on Monday. They do the preliminary testing and low and behold her platelet count is too low. She can't have treatment if they're below 75. The lowest she's had so far is 78. They were 52 yesterday. A normal persons number is 150-400. There's nothing they can do other than a blood transfusion. And they won't do that until they get as low as 20. So she came home. She was NOT a happy camper. It's a long trip, something she plans her weeks around. Plans how she's going to feel, who is going to watch the animals, what she's going to be able to do etc. So even though it's a slight reprieve, not having treatment this week...it's still frustrating. She will have the blood tested again Thursday and again Monday. If all is well by Monday she will have treatment next Thursday. I felt so bad for her. But hopefully she'll know this time before she gets there if she can or can't have treatment. Then she went on to tell me the precautions she needs to take. If she cuts herself, falls or gets a bruise she needs to go to the ER. If she hits her head, go to the ER. Sounds scary to me. But of course she just takes it in stride. So needless to say, baby or no baby, I'm worried about her. I hope she can start feeling better really soon!!

No comments: