Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Random Story

So obviously we're over the moon excited about this baby. Hearing the heartbeat sealed the deal yesterday. The best sound ever! And the due date never meant too much because most people don't actually deliver on the date given. It's just an estimate. But I have two small stories about ours....
First the good, it's the birthday of a good friend...a fun way to celebrate:-) And it would be cool to have it on her day.
Second, the not as good. I was helping my mom go through some closets in their house (because I refuse to have to do it alone after their gone!) a few weeks ago. There were tons of boxes from my grandparents house who have both passed away. They were full of pictures, high school diplomas, playbills from my grandpas theater days. Fun stuff to look at. Then we found a small shoebox tied with string. I had gone through everything else so I opened it and it was full of sympathy cards, funeral arrangements, donations and memorials for my dads sister. She passed away at the age of 7 from Pol.io in 1953. My dad was 3, he doesn't remember much. My grandparents hardly talked about her. Mostly because it had been so long, but also because they didn't do most of the planning for the funeral etc. I hadn't ever seen this stuff. It was very interesting, reading the cards and letters. My grandparents had a lot of support through all that. Then I found the book from the funeral. It was full of the little cards they hand out to everyone with the name, date of birth, date of death etc. I opened up and my eyes went straight to August 26th, 1953....date of death. My heart jumped to my throat and I felt like I was going to cry. I can't have my baby on my dad's sisters date of death. I just can't. Part of me felt grateful I never had to say that date to my grandparents. How horrible to have lost a child and then learn your first great grandchild would be born on that day?? I showed my parents and neither had remembered the actual date. It was so long ago and basically never spoken about, so no one really knew. So now I wonder....will it be an angel baby sent to us on Lyn Ann's day? I vacillate between wanting and not wanting that. I know our baby would never know the difference. I'm the only one who would know. It would be kind of a cool way to remember the aunt I never had. Either way, these are my two little stories about our due date. I just hope to have a healthy happy baby sometime late this summer!

No comments: