Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Will you be ok without?

This is what my husband says to me at lunch today. Will I be ok if we can't have kids. When I said no he looked at me like I was nuts. I asked if he would be and he says "yes, more time for you". Now I know that sounds sweet, but it wasn't. Not to me. I felt like someone had punched me in the stomach. Took my breath right from my lungs. So of course I asked if he wanted to quit trying, he says no. He wants to have a baby, he will be happy when (or should I say if) it happens. I know he doesn't know what to say. Or how to say it. But that was the WRONG thing to say. I know he loves me and would love to have a family, but he's also the type that is just fine the way things are. He has not dove into this baby making head first like I have. Probably because it's not his body that is F'd up. Probably because it's not his body that is spewing blood at odd times, not having weird side effects, horrible thoughts about the future, and on and on. He doesn't know what to say. Doesn't know what I want him to say. So basically he just says nothing. Until today and he comes up with this. I know he meant no harm. I'm sure he's just trying to help me get over this, but it didn't help. I guess we don't have anything to even discuss. We aren't at the point of making further decisions. IUI, IVF, adoption, while all options, we're not there yet. I put too much pressure on myself to have this first medicated cycle work and now that it's obviously not I'm heartbroken. I know there are other cycles. More treatments. I just didn't want to have to go through all this.
And of course I feel go guilty. There are so many other women who are going through far worse than me. They have lost their babies, lost their husbands, lost their jobs, on and on. I have a happy life with my husband. I should be happy. I should be thrilled. I just can't be. And why do these women at my office have to continue to talk about babies, baby showers, the clothes and how cute they are. I seriously want to strangle someone. The girl on maternity leave comes back next Monday. I'm sure that is not helping my stress level. I honestly don't know how I am going to sit here, 5 feet away from her, and listen to her baby and all the stories and see all the pictures day in and day out. I just spent 9 LONG months listening to her talk about pregnancy and how awful that was and now this....when will it be my turn.
I feel sorry for writing this horribly negative post, but right now I have nothing positive to say. Please forgive me.

1 comment:

Ariella said...

You don't have to be positive here, you need to be honest here and if you are having a bad time no one is going to compare you to others.

I understand why what DH said was so awful to you. I felt the same way when DH said something simmilar to me. Sending you a big (((HUG))))))