Tuesday, January 5, 2010

4 month appointment

Patrick had his 4 month appointment and shots yesterday. I swear he knew they were coming...he cried almost the entire time the doctor was in there!


His stats this time were not the greatest. Weight was 11 pounds, 12.5 oz (only 5 oz up from the 2 month appointment) and in the 3%, height was 24 inches (10-25%) and head circumference was 16.75 (75%). So he is skinny with a big head! I was concerned about the weight, we've been sort of monitoring it at home and I knew he hadn't gained that much...heck he's still wearing some 0-3 month clothes!! The doctor said he's not worried about it yet, but that he wants to see us back in 1 month for a weight check. And he wants us to start food in the next week or so. I don't think he's ready for it. I don't have a good reason other than I just don't think he is. But we'll try it out and see. He said to just skip the cereal and pick a food for a few days. So I'll head to the store this week and see what I can find. I think we'll start this weekend when we're both home all day.

After the appointment we had a few errands to run and thankfully Patrick slept in his seat the entire time. We decided to get H1.N1 shots after talking to the doctor about them again. And even though this is probably not the way things go, we dropped by a day care center near our house. I've been talking about calling there for weeks now but keep putting it off. Thinking and hoping that something in our situation is going to change and we won't need a daycare center this spring. But as far as I can tell that isn't going to happen. The place was nice. I always sort of turned my nose up at it because it's in a little strip mall basically in the middle of nothing. But I have/had nothing to compare it to before I went to visit. They have a lock system in place where you have to have a code to get in. All the rooms are open with half walls so the director can see and hear everything that is going on in the entire center. She took us in the baby room and told us all about the place. It looked nice. All the kids seemed happy. And she knew ALL of their names. I was impressed. They have curriculum for all the rooms, even the infant room. So it's like a preschool too. And it has come recommended to us by 2 people and I saw 2 other people I know come in to pick up kids while we were standing there. So she gave us the tour, handed us the handbook, put Patrick on the list for March or April and sent us on our way. While I know he would be in good hands there and we learned a lot in our 20 minutes talking to her, I couldn't help but feel a little sick to my stomach as we walked out the doors. Leaving my baby....even at 6 or 7 months....is just too much for me to think about. I know this is inevitable but with the lack of sleep, period hormones starting to rage and coming down off the vacation high, it is just too much. We have a lot to figure out and a lot to decide on. We'll have to get our schedule together and make an appointment to go back in and talk to her again. This sounds easy I know, but trying to get my husband to figure out the future is not easy. I think I'm going to give it a few days (and hopefully get a few full nights sleep under our belts) and bring it up again.

And with that I'm off to pump and hopefully go to bed early. Praying for a good night!

No comments: