Wednesday, October 7, 2009

6 weeks old

Another week gone by. This one was quick because of our trip to California. We're back home and back to normal...well as normal as it can be with a baby!

Updates this week:
Patrick seems to notice us more. And he follows my voice around the room if I'm not holding him. He's getting really good at tracking toys and watching our faces. His hands have found his mouth. I catch him sucking on them all the time (and I don't say 'catch' like it's a bad thing, I don't care if he sucks on his hands!). It's actually really cute.

I've been out a few times on my own this week too. It's been nice to get away but I miss the little guy when I'm gone. And of course I'm worried about how he's doing, if he has enough to eat, when I'm going to get home to feed him or pump...always worried about something! But not worried enough to skip going out to get my hair done. It's been WAY too long and I need it. Plus we're getting family pictures done next week. A good friend of ours runs a photography business and gave us a session for my baby shower. Such an awesome gift. Although I'm sure we'll be buying tons of pictures from her!! I'm so excited for it, but nervous of how I'll look on camera. I know it's not that big of deal, but body image is tough on women. But I'm mostly excited to have really good pictures of Patrick!!

I had my 6 week postpartum visit yesterday. Everything looks normal. My incision is looking good and ute is back to normal size. She said to give my finger a few months (yep, months) before resizing my ring...because it still doesn't fit. She said some people's fingers never go back to normal size (crap!) And we talked birth control. She wants us to wait at least 6 months before trying again to give the incision etc time to heal. She gave me the options of con.doms (or other over the counter stuff), the mini-pill, or IUD. I do not intend to get pregnant before the 6 months is up, but I'm not sure what I want to do. I don't want an IUD. I'm sure it works for some people, but I don't want to have something put in me that doesn't need to be there. And then have to go back and get it taken out. And we've never been the con.dom type. And I know several people who have had real trouble with progesterone type birth control. It causes increased appetite (i.e. weight gain), moodiness, and other emotional issues. We need to talk about it more and make a decision. I'm going to go ahead and fill the prescription and go from there.

The only other thing weighing on my mind right now is going back to work. No one has asked me about my thoughts or plans about it. My dad is at a conference right now, but when he gets back next week I plan to talk to him about it. I'll feel better when it's all figured out.

Well, better take advantage of nap time!!

No comments: