Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas and happy 4 months

I started this on my phone the other day and it wouldn't let me type anything. So here we are a few days late. Our Christmas was spent in route to Florida. Patrick did fantastic on the drive and flight. Only a few minutes of tears on the plane. And he slept so well Friday night. Poor little guy was so tired!! So far he's enjoying our beach vacation. Sleeping in the stroller or baby bjorn as we walk the beach is a favorite pastime. And hopefully the weather will cooperate and stay nice!! I'm sure the rest of the week will fly by!!

Christmas eve was spent with the in laws. I don't even know where to start with them so I won't. I swear they get weirder and weirder every time they come over!

And Patrick is 4 months old!! He goes back to the doctor a week from tomorrow. I'm curious about his weight. He still is wearing some 0-3 months clothes but mostly 3 months. Some 3-6 months, but not many. So he has a limited wardrobe right now. He has started grabbing things and putting them in his mouth (mostly toys and wash cloths). And he has learned how to grab the handle on the pacifier and take it out and sometimes get it back in. And he LOVES to suck on his hands!! He'll even suck on my hands or arms if his mouth is close enough to them.
Sleeping continues to baffle us. Some nights he goes to bed really easy and sleeps all night and other nights he seems like he'll never fall asleep or he wakes up once or twice. I realize we are very lucky. He mostly sleeps all night or only wakes up once. And when he does sleep all night its 12-13 hours, but I hate guessing what the night will bring. So far on our trip he's done really well (knock on wood). I hope it continues!!!
He's getting really good at sitting up and holding his head up. He loves to sit on our laps and look at books or the tv or other people. He doesn't seem to like to be facing us anymore. Apparently we're too boring. But he seems to really enjoy looking at books. A few weeks ago he wouldn't really tolerate them for very long. But his attention span is getting longer and longer.
In my mind I always assumed he'd start on solid foods right after we got back from Florida since he'd be 4 months old. But the more I read about it, I don't think he's ready. He does seem more interested in what we're doing when we're eating, but I don't think he's interested enough to sit up on his own and eat from a spoon. And the last thing I read said that once the baby doubles their birth weight, they are ready. He's no where near doubling his birth weight. So I think we'll lean towards waiting until 6 months or so. He's still nursing every 2-3 hours but my supply is fine and he seems to be getting all he needs. So I don't want to mess with that yet. And he'll be 6 months before we know it! I will ask the doctor what they recommend though.
He seems to have a little separation anxiety starting. I'm not sure if that is because one of us is always around or if that is just an age thing. But if we leave his line of sight, he starts fussing. We are trying to not hold him or carry him around all day to avoid what we affectionately call 'lap colic' but it's hard! Working in the morning and then being home with him in the afternoon, you'd think I'd have plenty of time to get stuff done, but that doesn't seem to be the case! Some days I feel like I get nothing done!!! But I also know that he will only be this age once and if I don't get the floors vacuumed or kitchen cleaned up, who cares. I get to spend time with my baby and that is all that matters!!! And I'm thankful that I'm able to do it!
Overall he's growing well and learning everyday. He's a great baby and a wonderful addition to our family!! We fall more and more in love with him everyday!!! Who knew being parents would be this amazing!!!

No comments: